Oct 29, 2009

I Have Purchased the Brooklyn Brewery

Okay . . . well, not really.  Since New York State just gave Brooklyn Brewery $800,000 to jumpstart their expansion and we have 19,000,000 residents, I own about 4 cents worth.  But I'll tell ya, it feels good.  From the NY Post (eww . . . ) and spotted at the great (they are being modest) A Good Beer Blog:
The state government last week awarded $800,000 to the Brooklyn Brewery to jump-start their $6.5 million expansion in Williamsburg. The company, along with its signature Brooklyn brands of ale, lager and beer, is converting 13,500 square feet of vacant distribution space into a beer fermentation facility, and increasing brewing capacity from 8,000 to 50,000 barrels per year. The plant is located at 79 North 11th Street. The grant came from a competitive process, yielding a total first-round $7.8 million that will eventually total $35 million to revitalize the downstate area, and grow the job and tax base.
I don't know exactly how I feel about this.  I guess since I run a beer blog I should be psyched, but honestly, $800,000?  NYC can barely pay for brakes on their trains. (Tuck and roll everyone.) Frankly, I think Brooklyn Brewery still owes me $9 from the Local 2 I had to choke down before I knew any better.  Well, I guess technically they now only owe me $8.96.  Bill's in the mail, fatcats!

No comments:

Post a Comment