Nov 25, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Oh my.  I'm indulging in my old love (my girlfriend) and my new love (barleywine).  If you have never had barleywine, find your closest stressed-out friend, share a bottle of barleywine, and slip into a relaxation heretofore unknown.

Before I drop off the map entirely for a day of relaxation, I recently made a trip to my local Whole Foods in search of seasonal and seasonally appropriate (big difference) beers for this week's festivities.  The backstory on this is that Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada have fulfilled the will of the gods and collaborated on a beer.  It is called Life and Limb, and aside from getting monster reviews all over the interwebs, it also has the most beautiful label ever.

I inquired about whether they were carrying this beer STRICTLY because I thought they wouldn't have it, and that the deprivation and delayed gratification created by this response would take me back to my joyless childhood.  Pretty standard right?  Woe is me, they actually had it.  But in a sick and perverse fulfillment of my initial expectation, it hadn't been entered into the system and so was not for sale yet.  Bribery?  Nope.  Sweet-talk?  Nu-uh.  The Whole Foods beer guy was wonderfully knowledgeable and tragically fixated on "not being fired".  Such was my luck, but with some effort, I expect to get to my hands on a bottle.  And the dope-ass t-shirt.

Because of job craziness and holiday preparations, the blog was AWOL this week.  I know, I know.  Who will force his friends to read about his esoteric passion without me on the scene?  Um . . . I don't know.  Forget about blogging and the internet and the 24-hour news cycle.  Sit back, crack open one of the ten million delicious seasonal beers on the market now, and enjoy quality time with some friends.  I will be back next week with organic beers, seasonal beers, imperials and barleywines galore . . . *salivates* . . . ahem.  Anyway, thanks for reading, and it is officially the season to drink with your peoples.  Peace to all.

1 comment:

  1. It's a great beer...and an excellent concept. Not just the collaboration, but the notion that brewers risk life and limb to pursue their passion. Enjoy it when you get it!

    ReplyDelete