Jan 11, 2010

Scotch Ale Smackdown

In the wide world of beer, there are too many styles, sub-styles, hybrids, and just plain off-the-wall beers to even count.  This is why when I review things, I have occassionally (and will try more in the future) grouped reviews by style.  Consider this your Scotch Ale (also known as Wee Heavy) tutorial.

In the UK region, hops mainly come from England.  So, if you head on in to England, you can find locally-brewed, HOPPY beers.  However, if you haven't heard, England wasn't always so kind to other countries, what with the conquering and shamelessly profiteering off of/killing everyone.  This could explain why Ireland and Scotland didn't necessarily want to import hops from England back in the day.  This would also explain why Scotch ales are almost all, if not entirely, malt, with extremely minimal hops.  If you can taste them at all, you have a more refined palate than I.  Your typical Scotch Ale has a nice creamy body, a brown or ruby-brown body, and a pretty low ABV, depending on the brewery.  Old Speckled Hen is an example (a shite-tasting one), but one that is easy to find if you want an introduction to the style.  Scotch Ales are also phenomenal examples of how geography and socio-political issues can affect the brewing of a particular region and the creation of a particular style.

That adorable-ass picture of me on the right side of this blog has me drinking a Scotch Ale coincidentally, so I have had good experience with them.  Today I am going to contrast two that I recently had to both recommend them (they are both great) and show some of the diversity of the style.  Even in something that is predominantly one ingredient can have a wide range of flavors and provide a totally different experience.  


First is Belhaven Wee Heavy.  Traditionally brewed in Scotland, Belhaven has been around forever and stands as a pretty good archetype of the style.  The body is predominantly brown with hints of ruby red and orange, while the head, as is typical of the style, has a wonderful richness even out of a bottle.  There is a rich caramel aroma with tons of sweetness and with VERY minimal hops, which you shouldn't look forward to tasting either.  The flavor is built of toffee, caramel, and a hint of milk chocolate (as opposed to the dark chocolate of many stouts and porters).  There is a bit of breadiness, though it is a malty one as opposed to yeast.  The mouthfeel matches the head in creaminess, and as I got to the end and it warmed a bit, I even got a waft of peanut butter aroma (which I will never complain about).  The body wore on me slightly as I went, as there was a fatty, almost greasy quality to it, but the flavor made up for it.  Definitely a great place to start in the style.

After that came Brasserie De Silly Scotch Silly Wee Heavy.  As opposed to the traditional Scottish brew, this is made in Belgium which means two things: 1) There is a higher ABV (8 vs. 6.5) and that there are some ecentric liberties taken with the style.  BDS is a little darker than the Belhaven, and presents a slightly less pleasant aroma, with a more general sweetness that actually feels kind of awkward.  It sort of smells like toffee bubble gum, and is nice in the sense that it is sweet, but not nice in the sense that that combination is gross.  The body is darker and the mouthfeel more crisp than Belhaven, though they of course share the rich maltiness inherent in the style.  How the malt presents is completely different, as it seems these crazy Belgians have added some of their trademark yeast to the mix.  The sweetness is lighter and brighter, bringing vanilla, caramel, and yes, even a hint of bubble gum in the finish.  That it is thinner makes it a bit more drinkable, and the Belgian yeast makes it more distinct in taste and aroma, but I have to give the flavor nod to Belhaven.

Both of these beers are good, and if you ever get hopped out from American craft beer, a Wee Heavy can be a nice alternative.  You have to deal with a large amount of rich sweetness (itself not for everyone), but within that sweetness are layers and layers of malty diversity and probably my favorite body and texture of any style.  On draft these beers are even better - richly cascading ruby-brown beauties that can have a texture bordering on "milkshake".  Scotland also doesn't generally get a rep as a brewing hub (it's not), so throwing them some props for the style they do so well (or um . . . to the other places who stole it and put their own spin on it) is vital in the beer community.

4 comments:

  1. Kick @$$ review bro! Makes me wanna go out and see if I can taste the difference between the Ales.

    Sweetness you say? I don't mind that at all especially being one that's fallen in love with Michelob Ultra and it's slightly on the sweeter side of things taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fucking Michelob? Don't bring that junk into my house! I'll swat it right out. I will drag you out to NYC's finest beer bars for a night of drunken education if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring it then motherf*****! :-)

    I am all for expanding my very limited pallet of beers. Just don't give me anything from England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also,

    I don't know the appropriate place to post this, but in general NYC does not have the best food, not by far, not in my opinion.

    I've been in NYC for a year and a half and I've had better food, lb for lb, in m home state of MA, every day of the year.

    SXM had much better food than NYC, lived their for a few years, but they are heavily influenced by real French so that is no contest. Ever have french thai food?
    Heaven.

    I have been completely disappointed in the food here. Granted, I don't frequent $100.00 or more a plate venues, but you cannot get a good steak bomb here (not one good Ma/Pa sub shops in NYC anywhere), no roast beef joints aka Kelly's in Revere/Saugus, no quality greek/italian pizza (all over the place in MA). The chinese food in MA is better too (Kowloon's in Saugus, Jade Palace in Peabody).

    I haven't even found a place in NYC that makes their own donuts (Marty's donut land in Ipswich, MA.)

    Have you ever had a freshly made, 5 min old donut?
    Heaven.

    A freshly roasted, rare, roast beef sandwich with sauce and cheese?
    Heaven.

    A MA steak bomb?
    Heaven (no mayo or ff, that is some weird PA shit.)

    NYC does have better food than ME, lived there for five years. Although both ME and MA have better brew.

    I love NYC for a lot of things, but I miss MA food severely. I'm just glad I found Peak IPA at the local whole foods. I can't take much more stale, spoiled Harpoon.

    Actually, I don't know what I'd do without whole foods, because the grocery stores in NYC are quite lackluster as well, with the exception of WFM.

    Sorry, but that is my honest take on the food situation here.
    peace.

    ReplyDelete